“For people having a hard time at the holiday season, we urge them to reach out if they need help,” Proviso Township Mental Health Commission’s Board President Mike Corrigan said.
The experts at our member agencies offer these tips for coping with holiday stress:
"For people having a hard time...we urge them to reach out." Mike Corrigan
• Set aside differences; at least for the day.
• Stick to a budget. Plan ahead to avoid being overwhelmed by last-minute preparations.
• Learn to say No.
• Watch your health. Make healthy choices. Get enough sleep. Go for a walk.
• Take a breather. Spend a few minutes to calm your mind: solitude, peaceful music, meditation, prayer.
• Volunteer. Helping others is a great way to keep a positive perspective.
• Reach out if you need help. The Proviso Township Mental Health Commission and its partners are always available.
"The holidays should be a time for celebrations, social gatherings and reflection," said the Commission’s Executive Director Jesse D. Rosas. "Sadly, that's not the case for everyone. Our agencies are here for those who need a little extra help coping with the stresses and strains of the busy season."
For more information, contact Proviso Township Mental Health Commission at 708-449-5580.